Monday, April 11, 2011

What a week!!

Our crazy week started last Sunday. Fletcher started coughing that morning and had a 104.8 fever by bedtime. We managed to get it down with Tylenol and Motrin. I had taken him to the doctor 10 days prior for coughing and wheezing (asthma was mentioned) and we received a nebulizer and albuterol so I thought this may be what he needed. Danny stayed home with him Monday and had an ok day. He didn't run a fever all day and was a little crabby but nothing exciting. I called the doctor for an appointment on Tuesday just in case. (this would only be the third time in his 15mths I had taken him in for being sick) Well, Monday night I was up and down with him and a fever. Tuesday came and it was ultrasound day for baby #2. I am happy to report that we are expecting another BOY!! This baby wasn't very active and I explained he was probably exhausted from being up all night with his big brother. When I got to the doctor with Fletcher, he was given a breathing treatment and I was told once again that his lungs were acting like an asthmatics. The doctor thought possible pneumonia and wanted us to start steroids, antibiotics and breathing tx every 4 hours around the clock and come back Wednesday. Wednesday will go down in the calender as one of the worst days ever. By the time we got back to the doctor's office, Fletcher had not had a fever and was acting better but his oxygen saturation was only 85% on room air even after a breathing treatment (it should be high 90's). I was instructed to take him to the ER and expect to be admitted to the hospital. Well, I BEGGED her not to make me take him in. Long story short, we sat in the ER for 12 hours before we got a room. After examination, breathing tx, and x-ray, we were told he didn't have pneumonia. He was admitted with an asthma attack secondary to a virus (bronchiolitis). There's no need for me to go into detail about how AWFUL it was to be in the hospital for 3 days. Before we left, the doctor wanted to check Fletcher's airway. He discovered he has a narrow airway and almost touching tonsils. This could be the answer for why he has a lower oxygen saturation at night than others. Maybe he'll grow out of it but it's something we have to watch. We got home Saturday. Fletcher still has the cough but no wheezing. We are giving steroids and breathing tx every 4 hours around the clock. He is starting to perk up and going back to Jen's today. He will visit his doctor tomorrow to have his O2 levels checked. We PRAY PRAY PRAY they are in the 90's. I'm not sure what we will do if we have to go back to the hospital. (I can't believe I used to be a pediatric nurse) On a much lighter note, Danny bought an old school Nintendo/Super Nintendo console with all the old games. It brings back so many fun memories seeing Mario and Contra on our TV. Games have surly improved over the years.

3 comments:

The McCullough Family said...

Glad that we got to chat & catch up yesterday. Give my sweet Fletch a big hug & kiss from Aunt Ashley and the rest of the McCullough Fam! Keeping him in our prayers (and on our prayer list at church.) We love you all MUCH, MUCH! Oh yeah, and I know that I've already talked to you several times since then, but YAY for baby BOY Morris!!! My sweet, little Finn Danger....hehe! ;)

Simply Sellers said...

I am so sorry to hear how sick Fletcher has been. I pray he feels better soon. Congrats on another boy! I am sure Fletcher will be a great big brother!

Elizabeth said...

Poor you. We had a recent hospital stay, too, and it was traumatic to say the least! Yay for another baby BOY! I know you are both so excited. XO, E